Friday, July 3, 2009

Fishy followers


Walking along the shore of a small pond at the hospital in Mandeville yesterday, I noticed a school of these small fish following me.  When I stopped they would line up along the shore a couple feet out.  

When I moved -- sat down, or got up -- it didn't phase them.   When I threw a piece of grass or a leaf into the water, they thrashed toward it.  They had obvious become used to being fed from the shore.  But when a car door slammed about 50 feet away, they were spooked.  Though it only took them about 20 seconds to get up enough nerved to return.

Several hours later when a violent thunderstorm filled the pond quickly and was bending trees to the ground with its windy strength, I was thinking about how their thoughts were running
--steve buser




, , ,

1 comment:

Debbie Courson Smith said...

What a funny story. We know of a couple of ponds with fish like that, always begging for goodies. Some slap their tails on the water to get attention.